Pages

Friday, May 29, 2015

Creativity

Today, my mind has been on the subject of creativity. 
Now this subject is deep and wide, and I literally have a million directions I could take this post. 
I'm going to try to focus on two main things, but really its one main topic. You should find one that relates to you.

1.The "creative person" 

2.The "non-creative person"


These are titles. They are given to us either by others or by ourselves. If given by others, we can embrace or reject the meaning. We all have an opinion of ourselves that we keep close to our hearts. Do you believe you are a creative person? Do you believe that you are not a creative person?

I am going to explain to you, why I do not believe either person exists. 

Lets start by learning a little about what creativity is. I found a few definitions that I love:

Creativity- 

  1. The state of being creative. 
  2. The ability to transcend or change traditional rules, patterns, ideas, relationships into new interpretations, ideas, patterns, relationships. 
  3. The process of using creative ability. 

I love these three descriptions, more then any other ones I have found. 

Starting with number one. The state of being creative. The reason I love this so much, is because it does not say "being creative" or "someone who is being creative" It uses the word state.

To be in a state, means total focus and feeling, a state is usually based around our emotions. 
Think of someone who does yoga or meditation. They train their minds and bodies into a state of peace and tranquility to improve their own quality of life or find peace. Peace; This is a trained state, not one we usually enter into on accident.
Think now, of someone who has become extremely angry, maybe they have road rage or maybe they were just cheated out of something owed to them. Anger is a powerful emotion, because its one we are not always able to control. People with anger, fall into a state that takes them by surprise, and often they can not reverse it without incredible effort. This state can cause damage and fear, and can be dangerous. 

Creativity is and can be like both of these situations. 
When I enter the state of creativity, sometimes it takes me by great surprise. It engulfs me, fills my mind, and nothing can interrupt what I feel at that moment. Until I give into this state, it feels I will never be satisfied, much like the emotion of anger. 
Other times, I have to coax myself into this state. I become lazy and procrastinate, or maybe I can not find proper inspiration. So I train myself, which takes focus and dedication, to enter the state. Its very similar to entering a state of peace or tranquility. Once there, I can move forward and find inspiration within.


Using the word state in this way, suggests that creativity is not a unique quality that a certain type of person possesses. Some people may be more prone to entering this state then others (just like some people are more prone to becoming angry), however the description suggests anyone may enter it. Anyone may enter the state of creativity, of being creative. 


If I had a goal in my creative life, it would be to convince everyone in the world, that ANYONE can be creative. I do not believe there is a type of person that is more creative then another. I do not believe that there are people who "can" and "cannot draw, or paint, or cook, or create art. 

I believe that anyone can be an artist. Anyone can be a poet. Anyone can be a cook. I believe that EVERYONE is creative. 

When you look at someone the world would call a "creative person" and look at someone the world would deem a "non-creative person" You will notice several differences. 
1. the "creative person" would be good at something artsy. Weather its cooking, or singing, or drawing, or gardening. Like wise, the "non-creative person" would not show any talent for any of these things, and would seem to be less interesting. 
2. the "creative person" would seem to be more open minded, free spirited, a non-conformist and the "non-creative person" would seem to go more by the rules, be less adventurous, or have less crazy thoughts in their head. 

These are things that describe two types of people. What the world gets wrong, is that these are not descriptions or qualities of "creative" and "non-creative" people. They are simply personality types. Maybe you are good with your hands, maybe you have a beautiful voice. Those are qualities about you, it is what you do with those qualities that brings you to creation. A person may be more drawn to one thing or the other, but creativity is not limited to certain qualities. It can be used by anyone.

I believe there are people who are open to the wonders of the world, and people who are closed to them. This does not make you "creative" or "non-creative" 
Someone who is open is more likely to become creative, or to learn creative traits. They are more likely to be inspired, and more likely to want to do something about that inspiration. 
People who are more closed to possibilities, or stuck in a day to day routine with little variations, are less likely to pick up creative habits, and less likely to create. 

The point I want to get across: Creativity is something you learn not something you just have. It is something that anyone can access. I have spent years and years practicing "an open mind" and because I have done that, I have been able to access all kinds of creative elements in this world. Drawing, writing, singing, music. It's all out there. Anyone can grab it. 

It took me years to develop any kind of artistic skill. When I was a child, I was not good at drawing. But I was determined become an artist. People said I had talent, but that was not true. I had the quality of having good hand eye coordination, and the learned skill of controlling a pencil. I trained myself, I studied the beauty of this world, and I practiced every chance I got. Practice makes talent. Now I am proud of the drawings I produce, and am able to say that I am an artist. 

And that goes for anything, anyone can look at someone and be jealous. Anyone can wish they knew how to do something. Anyone can be creative, and anyone can become talented. 
If you have enough desire, and an open mind, you can be creativeYou should never let yourself or anyone else tell you otherwise. 

For one last point, creativity is not simply art. It is not just drawing, painting, writing, cooking, singing, acting. Creativity is much much wider then that. 

I know people who are incredibly creative, who would never say so about themselves. My husband for example. No he can't draw or paint or write or cook well. No, he does not get excited by a bag of sharpies and glitter. 
His creativity is in people. He has an amazing talent, that he has developed and practiced, in the way he treats people. He can make people really listen to him, he can make them smile, he can make them laugh. People feel easy around him, they feel good. That is a creative process. To be able to relate to others shows great creativity and thought. Most people do not realize this. 

Another way I have seen creativity is in numbers. People who are great at math or science, are extremely creative. They use their brains in a way many of us have not figured out how to do. They come up with new ideas and solutions, without being called "creative"

People can be creative in amazing ways that we take for granted. So please don't ever again, tell yourself that you are not creative. I guarantee you that you are in some shape or form. If you are sure you are not, its not because of a quality you are missing. It may be that your mind is not open to the possibility of being creative. 

I am an extremely happy person, because my life is focused and revolved around creativity. I practice using it, and seeing it every day. Anyone can be creative. Anyone can learn a talent if they are dedicated enough. Anyone can have or learn to have an open mind. 

God gave us the ability over all other animals on this earth, to be creative. We are able to create, and live, and love. We should celebrate that every day. So here's to our God, and our amazing minds, let us not underestimate or take for granted any of it.

All my love, 

-Leann Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment